Dr. Joseph Pellerito Jr. received his Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) in Medical Sociology from Wayne State University (WSU) in Detroit, Michigan; a Masters of Science (MS) degree in Technology in Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation (PM & R) from The Johns Hopkins University (JHU) in Baltimore, Maryland; and a Baccalaureate of Science (BS) degree in Occupational Therapy (OT) and a Minor in Medical Sociology from Western Michigan University Lee Honors College in Kalamazoo, Michigan.
Dr. Pellerito has held leadership and administrative positions in the private, academic, and public sectors including the following:
1) Rehabilitation Institute of Michigan (RIM) in The Detroit Medical Center (DMC) where he supervised more than 250 professionals providing physical medicine and rehabilitation services in 28 sites throughout Michigan;
2) Associate Professor, Department Chair, & Program Director at Wayne State University (WSU);
3) Vice President of Research and Consumer Technology for iCan!, the first online community in the world for people with disabilities and their caregivers;
4) Chief Operating Officer (CEO) for Abilities Group LLC and its more than 500 therapy personnel providing assistive technology and independent living services to veterans with disabilities residing in 28 states; and
5) Founder & Chief Consultant for HEROES NATION LC, a new and dynamic company that provides assistive and adaptive technology services to people of all ages with disabilities and their caregivers.
Dr. Pellerito recently co-founded The Open Journal of Occupational Therapy (OJOT), the first-ever open-access occupational therapy refereed journal accessed by professionals living in more than 100 countries worldwide.
He was recently nominated and elected to serve a three year term on the Catholic Charities Diocese of Kalamazoo’s Board of Directors under the leadership of Bishop Bradley and Mrs. Fran Denny, Executive Director.